Before you explore the Internet, open the Moline High School page > under quick links choose Media Center > catalogs/research > databases. The ones that would be most helpful for this project are:
- Gale Discovering Collection:
- Content level is coded with a color and shape to help you find articles you will best understand.
- Articles can be read to you by clicking on the MP3 icon.
- Watch for the words ‘full text’ under each selection.
- Check the tabs in the middle of the page to see if there is a multimedia entry for your search, which could take the form of a picture, or a broadcast of a radio program.
- Begin by searching for the name of your subject
- Notice repeated names of researchers. You might find some great stuff in future searches by targeting an expert in the field.
- What is your subject’s claim to fame:
- Particular works of art
- Particular style or technique of artistry
- Does your subject have a famous Master, or Patron?
- Ebsco > eBook > search by name > click on the words full text under the selection to open an electronic book. View the contents page to locate the information most helpful to your research.
- Knights of Art: Stories of the Italian Painters is a good one.
- Library of Congress
- This database will help you find primary source documentation of your subject. Try clicking on the ‘prints and photographs’ icon to narrow your search.
- GVRL (Gale Virtual Reference Library) These are the eReference Books. Scroll down to the Encyclopedia of World Biography. On the right hand side is a drop down menu of volumes. Click on the correct volume to scroll alphabetically through the contents. (Note: Your subject may be found by first name or last name, ie Michaelangelo will be located in Mich rather than in the Bs).
- Destiny Quest is the online catalog (OPAC) for MHS library. Select this database, and complete a basic name search. Books marked available can be located in our collection. Books starting with an ‘e’ icon are ebooks and can be read by clicking on the ‘open’ button.
- World Book Encyclopedia can be read in Spanish or three different reading levels in English.
- In the left hand column will be a breakdown of the search results: articles, pictures, maps, primary sources, etc.
- In the lower right hand corner may also be full text eBooks correlated to your search.
- Researchers can make a personal account to save research, create timelines, formulate a bibliography, etc.
- Your search term will be highlighted in the text to help you skim and scan more quickly.
- Listen to a discussion on NPR entitled: At 500, Machiavelli’s ‘Prince’ Still Inspires Love and Fear. http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2013/05/27/185746692/may-2013-machiavelli-s-the-prince-500th-anniversary
- Lectures on Modern European Intellectual History http://www.historyguide.org/intellect/machiavelli.html
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/machiavelli/
- The New Yorker http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2008/09/15/080915crat_atlarge_pierpont
- A search, by name, in the Gale Discovering Collection will bring up many articles illustrating the Machiavellian influence on business today.
- PBS http://www.pbs.org/empires/medici/renaissance/brunelleschi.html
- Biography.com http://www.biography.com/people/filippo-brunelleschi-9229632
- Smart History from Khan Academy: a virtual tour of a Brunelleschi dome. http://smarthistory.khanacademy.org/brunelleschis-dome.html
- Smart History replication of an experiment in linear perspective. http://smarthistory.khanacademy.org/Brunelleschi.html
Donatello (di Niccolò di Betto Bardi)
- Artble http://www.artble.com/artists/donatello
- Web gallery of art http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/bio/d/donatell/biograph.html
- Encyclopedia.com http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Donatello.aspx#1
- eBook excerpt from Masters in Art http://books.google.com/books?id=mT6cugTMf2cC&pg=PA198&lpg=PA198&dq=ponderation+and+donatello&source=bl&ots=bUy41nzVl7&sig=kDCmTVWMGcC-iFcxOafws6
Leonardo Da Vinci (as a painter/artist)
- eBook http://books.google.com/books?id=fq8IHuJIKmoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=leonardo+da+vinci+as+painter+and+artist&hl=en&sa=X&ei=M0V5UpaUBoTPrQGrhoHID
- eBook from the Childhood of World Figures series: http://books.google.com/books?id=LrAwei9jK1kC&printsec=frontcover&dq=leonardo+da+vinci+as+painter+and+artist&hl=en&sa=X&ei=YEZ5Up6RLMegqwGLy4
- eBook Leonardo Drawings http://books.google.com/books?id=Wq0m10GenkQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=leonardo+da+vinci+as+painter+and+artist&hl=en&sa=X&ei=HUh5UvaCNYj8qwGLsIDQDw&ved=0CF4Q6AEwBDgU#v=onepa
- eBook Seven Painters Who Changed the Course of Art History: http://books.google.com/books?id=o5nNwRnTnmUC&pg=PA26&dq=leonardo+da+vinci+as+painter+and+artist&hl=en&sa=X&ei=YEZ5Up6RLMegqwGLy4GIBA&ved=0
Leonardo Da Vinci (as inventor)
- eBook Artist, Inventor and Renaissance Man http://books.google.com/books?id=6wyF_sEAwLUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=leonardo+da+vinci+as+painter+and+artist&hl=en&sa=X&ei=YEZ5Up6RLMegqwGLy4GIBA&ved=0CGAQ6A
- eBook The DaVinci Notebooks http://books.google.com/books?id=DDHFe-T00ksC&printsec=frontcover&dq=leonardo+da+vinci+as+inventor&hl=en&sa=X&ei=1kl5UtyoB4fIrQGnxIDYBg&ve
- eBook The Notebooks of Leonardo DaVinci http://books.google.com/books?id=A7dUhbBfmzMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=leonardo+da+vinci+as+inventor&hl=en&sa=X&ei=wEh5UouWEMPlrQHe54CQAg&ved=0CHcQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=leonard
- National Geographic excerpt http://books.google.com/books?id=8oDtBUyQhwUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=leonardo+da+vinci+as+inventor&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0Up5UueHGIWcqAG1-IDQCQ&ved=0CGYQ6AEwBjgU#v=
- Biography.com with video tour http://www.biography.com/people/michelangelo-9407628
- PBS http://www.pbs.org/empires/medici/renaissance/michelangelo.html
- BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/michelangelo.shtml
- PBS http://www.pbs.org/empires/medici/renaissance/ghiberti.html
- Biography.com http://www.biography.com/people/lorenzo-ghiberti-21229323
- Art Institute of Chicago http://www.artic.edu/aic/exhibitions/ghiberti/themes.html
- Bullfinch Guide to Art History http://www.artchive.com/artchive/G/ghiberti.html
Raphael Santi (Sanzio)
- Biography.com with video http://www.biography.com/people/raphael-41051
- ABC People http://www.abc-people.com/data/rafael-santi/bio-eng.htm
- Raphael Complete Works http://www.raphaelsanzio.org/
- Totally History http://totallyhistory.com/raphael-sanzio/
- Gutenberg’s Invention http://www.gutenberg.de/english/erfindun.htm
- Gutenberg Bible http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/permanent/gutenbergbible/
- Inventor of the week http://web.mit.edu/invent/iow/gutenberg.html
- The Biography Channel with video http://www.biography.com/people/johannes-gutenberg-9323828
- Look in the Library of Congress database. http://www.loc.gov Click on the prints and photographs icon in the middle of the page. Do a search for Gutenberg to view pictures of the Bibles on display in the Grand Hall, and flip through the pages in a digital copy.
Sir Thomas More
- Luminarium http://www.luminarium.org/renlit/morebio.htm
- Biography.com http://www.biography.com/people/thomas-more-9414278
- The History Guide http://www.historyguide.org/earlymod/stmore.html
- Brainy Quotes http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_more.html
- One can read Utopia in print from our library (321.07 MOR) or, as an eBook from our MHS online catalog. https://molineschools.follettdestiny.com/common/welcome.jsp?context=saas51_1270388